With Christmas around the corner, life can be a bit hectic. There are presents to wrap (and unwrap), recipes to be made, and people to see. Holidays are some of the busiest, most stressful times of the year. Many people don’t realize that stress can wear you down and cause your immune system to weaken. Make sure to stay healthy by allowing yourself to clear your space and mind this holiday season.
My husband and I took some days off from work and we are using the time that we have to clear our space and our minds. Over the past year we have accumulated a whole lot of stuff– most of which we do not need. Having too much stuff everywhere can cause you to feel anxious and stressed. Living in a high anxiety, high stress household is not good for your health or for your soul. Here are some ways you can clear your space and clear your mind this holiday season:
- Donate Clothing- I don’t know about you, but I love to donate my clothes to Goodwill or the Salvation Army every couple months. I have too many clothes that I either do not wear or do not fit. There is no reason to be hanging on to them. After donating, you and your closet will feel refreshed.
- Throw Away Old Papers- My office space and kitchen countertops get piled with excess paperwork. Throwing away old letters, receipts, and mail you no longer need has never felt so good. Now I actually have room for cooking!
- Downsize- Stuff creates chaos. Get rid of any duplicate items. Keep only what’s necessary.
- Embrace the “One in, one out” rule- If you bring in something new to your home or wardrobe, bring another item out. Simple.
- Create a Comforting Space- For me, I have two areas I like to retreat to for comfort. My bedroom and my rocking chair in our office. Make sure this space is clear of distractions, organized, and encourages relaxation.
Once you start to clear your space, you will in turn, clear your mind. Once your mind is cleared of clutter, your soul will thank you with happiness. I hope you all have a very relaxing Christmas and happy New Year!